I have pump setup to run at startup/reboot on my
RH 6.1 system with a DSL connection.  I USUALLY
leave my system running all the time (I have
setiathome running all the time).  In the morning
or whenever I get around to getting on my system,
I ocassionally run top to see what's up...and find
that pump has moved to the top of the pile using the
bulk of the CPU, leaving setiathome, for instance,
a distant 3rd or 4th when USUALLY it sits at the
top at 90+%.  Looking at my Cisco 675 DSL router
lights during these times indicates no particular
activity...often none at all.

Why would pump move up to use greater than 50% of
the CPU AND for an extended period of time?
Surely, obtaining an IP address OR renegotiating
the last/present IP (dynamic IP DSL with USWest)
wouldn't require more than a few moments to
complete, would it not?  I have allowed it to
go for some minutes after noting its rather high
CPU use but this doesn't appear to matter for
nothing changes and I don't know how long it
has been at the top of the process heap.

I added a line to to rc.local to start pump
at startup and it has worked fine, or so it has
seemed.  I am just wondering if I should do it
differently, add a switch or something, or is
this normal OK behavior?

patrick