For application development, I do prefer OO, in particular Java.
However, for working at the device level or inside an OS kernel,
developers still strongly prefer more traditional C for many reasons.

#1 It's easier to get a fully functional bug free C compiler
prototyped quickly for new hardware/OS than it is a bulky C++
compiler and all it's "weirdness".

#2 The really low level developers like myself usually find OO to be an
encumberance.  There are some people who use it at the lower levels
I know, but in 10 years of hardware hacking, I've yet to actually
meet one of those people.

--
J. Scott Kasten

jsk AT tetracon-eng DOT net

"That wasn't an attack.  It was preemptive retaliation!"