On Thu, 25 Nov 1999, Frank Rocco wrote:

> I am new to Linux and want to install it in a duel boot config for Win98. I
> heard of Redhat, Caldera and now Coral.
> Should I get Coral as it is the latest release?

Since you're posting to a Red Hat list, you're probably not expecting
unbiased answers. ;)

I've actually tried all of them, so here's what I think of them (Note: I
am a Red Hat developer. I'm trying to be neutral, but you should know I
might be biased without realizing it):

- Corel Linux may be the latest release, but it contains numerous
  completely outdated packages. Some of them (proftpd 1.2.0pre1, bind
  8.1, ...) even have major security problems.
  It's installation is very easy unless its hardware detection hangs the
  system (which happened on a notebook I tried).
  There are several bugs left (after one otherwise successful
  installation, I had to add "/usr/X11R6/bin/startkde" to
  /etc/X11/window-managers to see their KDE changes - prior to that, it
  wouldn't start anything but twm.)
  Their KDE changes are partially very nice for a beginner (they put in
  a new file manager that behaves pretty much like a bugfixed Windows
  Explorer), but also partially confusing for people who have already
  used Linux (they changed package names, moved some options to different
  places etc).
  They go to X only; if you want to try the command line mode, it's
  definitely not a good choice.
  Also, it is lacking some important programs (ever wondered why their CD
  has only 300 MB on it, while Red Hat Linux 6.1 has 640 MB +
  powertools?). For example, it's KDE only (no GNOME, no real text mode
  support unless you tweak it).
  Their choice of package managers (dpkg, not rpm) is surely a matter of
  taste, but considering that almost everyone else is using rpm nowadays,
  I'd prefer RPM.
  All in all, I'd say it was a rushed release - their final would be an
  ok beta. Maybe their next version will be more interesting. If you know
  how to fix some potential trouble caused by installer bugs, it's ok for
  a desktop machine, but it's a danger on a server.

- Caldera has a nice installer (unfortunately not entirely bugfree - I
  could make it mount a swap partition as root filesystem).
  The installer is completely multithreaded - it installs packages while
  you make selections. The installer's biggest problem is that it doesn't
  have individual package selection, which is not very important for
  beginners.
  The problems here start after installation - for example, COL enters
  graphics mode using the kernel's framebuffer devices, and then starts
  a normal X server, which is a definite DON'T.
  It's ok for most graphics cards, but completely breaks on others.
  The kernel documentation explicitly warns of doing it:
  "XF86_FBDev should work just fine, but it is non-accelerated.  Running
  another (accelerated) X-Server like XF86_SVGA might or might not work.
  It depends on X-Server and graphics board.
  The X-Server must restore the video mode correctly, else you end up
  with a broken console (and vesafb cannot do anything about this)."
  Their KDE settings are probably a matter of taste - I personally
  don't like them. They've turned off the "close" button of a window by default.
  They don't include GNOME.

- While Red Hat Linux isn't perfect (YET) either, I've had least problems
  with it - it leaves you most choices (Installation in graphics mode or
  in text mode, KDE or GNOME, individual package selection (optional),
  ...)

In general, it can't hurt to try all of them and pick whatever you like
best.

LLaP
bero

--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
                -- Bill Gates, 1983