Oops sent too soon.  Please excuse the sorta double post...

What I REALLY want is to be able to check a users POP password/userid.  Is
there a way using telnet to port 109?  I get a prompt, I just don't know how
to feed it a login/password.  Would this work?  how?

Thanks again!
Scott

Original post:

I have my users set to "false" in the password file for their shell.  I
don't want them to have a shell account but I would like to know if their
password is working via a telnet session.  Is there some "shell" I could use
that would allow me to telnet, authenticate, then immediately drop the
connection after login?  Something secure of course.

TIA

Scott