On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 01:38:03PM +1100, Jamie Carl wrote:
| There's just one problem, i'm not using Tar.  I have use cpio as
| I'm doing a full system backup and tar doesn't back up device files
| correctly.  I thought cpio used it's own internal buffering.

Doesn't matter. Tar was just the example.

Both cpio and tar let you control the blocksize (if you're writing
direct to tape with them this can be useful), but otherwise if you're
piping then buffer is handy for smoothing out the action.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

I saw God. He rides a motorcycle. He's coming back soon, and He's real pissed.
        - Larry Cunningham, [EMAIL PROTECTED]