> Hi,
>
> Whenever I start X it always starts up with a depth of 8, how do I
> change
> it to 16 or 32? I know there is a host of entries in
> /etc/X11/XF865Config
> and I have played with it. I thought X would look at the first entry in
> the
> file which has a depth of 16, however its using the information from
> the
> second entry that has a depth of 8. I hope this makes sense. I am using
> rh6.1 with gnome + englightenment.
>
> Cheers
> Nelson

Adding the line

DefaultColorDepth 16

(or whatever depth you want) to your XF86Config file does the trick. It's
int the docs somewhere, but I got this from this list a while back.

excerpt from my own XF86Config:

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32, Mach64)

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "ATI 3D Charger"
    Monitor     "Bridge 17 inch OSD"
    DefaultColorDepth 24
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "1280x1024"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

Hope this helps

Harold