From: Greg W [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, December 03, 1999 9:31 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: X won't start due to font error

Yes..........

the problem is that that error can be a hundred different
things...............

I did this,        startx &> log.txt              then look at log.txt

look at the last thing it tried to open to get a clue, then work from
there

just out of interest, my error was the permission on that dir in /tmp
.....'unix/:-1'     , dont ask me how it would change, freak of
computing,
me stuffing around, someone else stuffing around .....who knows, I
deleted
it and X replaced it with correct perms

See Gordons recent post on using Strace as well, however I am not sure
what
it does different to above, my suggestion can also be killed off by
looking
through the correct logfile on the system, where ever its hidden (bit of
sarcasm)

On 2/12/99 at 8:52 Mark Ivey wrote:

>Hi,
>This morning my computer won't start X, instead it just gives me the
error
>below.  I'm running RH6.0, pretty much just a stock install, and I
don't
>recall doing anything recently that would have caused this.  Has anyone
>had this happen before?
>
>_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111
>failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
>Fatal server error:
>could not open default font 'fixed'

Regards

Greg W
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***