On 11-Dec-99 Mark Ivey opined:
> Hi,
> I have a question about general linux performance.  It seems like my
> linux
> box at home doesn't run like it ought to (specifically, it seems like it
> was faster under windows).  Here are the stats on it:
>
> pentium 200mmx, 32 mb ram, 70 mb swap, matrox mystique w/ 4mb
> I'm running a stock redhat 6.0 system
>
> So, here is my question.  Under windows 95, I used to be able to have
> something like 15 netscape windows open before it would start to run out
> of memory and thrash the disk.  Under linux, I can't seem to get more
> than
> about 7.  Isn't linux supposed to be smaller/lighter/quicker?  Is one of
> the programs I'm running (X, kde, netscape) a real resource hog?  What
> can
> I do to get this thing to run a little better?  Thanks...

Yes! KDE is one of the biggest hogs around. Get something lighter, like
XFCE, Icewm, blackbox, etc.

Netscape uses a lot. Get a version in the 4.0x series and quite a bit can
be reduced.

Run ntsysv as root and turn off as much as you can among the items you
don't use.

Reduce desktop size or colors for some savings.

Increase swap with a swapfile or more. 'man mkswap' gives an example. This
is particularly good at reducing errors caused when compiling some
programs, but it's also helpful when using resource killers like KDE.

--
  It's not a bug, it's a tradition!