I built a new machine a couple of days ago and started upgrading various
things.  One of those items was October Gnome.  I downloaded all of the
files into a single directory, then as root, did a 'rpm -Uvh *.rpm'.  I saw
quite a few files that were upgraded and thought all was ok.

Today, I was looking for something and did a 'rpm -qa | grep gnome-core' and
got this:
        gnome-core-devel-1.0.39-10
        gnome-core-1.0.39-10

What caught my eye was the fact that the files in the directory I did the
'rpm -Uvh *.rpm' were these:
        -rw-r--r--   1 cajun    cajun     1773778 Nov 13 21:37
gnome-core-1.0.53-2.i386.rpm
        -rw-r--r--   1 cajun    cajun       35033 Nov 13 21:37
gnome-core-devel-1.0.53-2.i386.rpm

So, is rpm broken ?  Can someone explain this please ?

Thanks,
Mike