Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 1999, Paul M. Foster wrote:

>   I don't know the details, but apparently Samba is much faster than
> nfs. We have some folks out here who mount networked linux drives via
> Sambe and it works well for them.

Well, this is a bit risky.  They're running through two levels of filesystem
emulation--with some approximations made in both directions for each WRT
issues such as ownership, permissions, etc.--and there are known issues
with such things as symlinks and .lnk files.

Also, I've just worked through a fair bit of analysis, and there's no clear
win with SAMBA over NFS in terms of performance; if anything, at least on
a Sun network, it's about 10-15% behind.  Nothing earthshattering.  The
security issues with NFS, and licensing costs commercially, steer me to
SAMBA for new installations, but that's not an issue in this conversation.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat