On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Alan Mead wrote:

> As I see it, the main rationale for making a partition is (1) because you
> must (not usually an issue with Linux), (2) to follow a standard, (3) to
> localize something like growing log files, mail spools, etc. so that they
> don't take up the whole disk, (4) to mount something separately as in a
> /usr mounted read-only.  Only you can balance these needs against problems
> like running out of room.

Another reason that I partition things out is in case of a crash (ie
incorrect shutdown)

I have no factual basis, but the concept seems sound: if you have 1 really
big partition, and you halt unexpectedly, and the fs is corrupted, then
you're in trouble.

If you have 5 partitions, and one of them is corrupted, then you can
either fix it, as long as / us ok, or at least it's easier to recover the
rest of the data, since it's still on a valid FS.

brian

--

      AAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEE! Evil... Bright... Yellow... Thing...!!