> On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Jason Grovert wrote:
>
> > What is the best way to partition a drive as far as sizing goes.
> > Let's say I have a 8 gig hard drive.  How would everyone do it and for
> > what reasons?

As said, it depends, but I think you are looking for what other people
have done and why...

My first installation of RH4.2 was a while ago and the system grew an
was upgraded to 5.2 and in the process I added a drive and moved
partitions and was continually juggling the partitions to get a best
fit... I'd add a partition and put /usr/local there etc, but then I'd
install something and run low on space, etc...

When I decided to do a new installation (with a new 8 gig drive) with
6.1 I got lazy and put in a big 3 gig drive and used that for / and
another gig for /home, and that was it so far. The rest of the drive is
for shared files (samba), DOS files/games, and a cd writer image
partition... Linux and ext2 have been so reliable I guess I got brave,
but kept /home on it's own. I'll be using half of my original 1 gig
drive for file backup and well as putting stuff onto cdrom.

I did this because I really wasn't sure where I was going to need the
space, KDE went from opt, SO5 went to opt, and it wasn't clear what I'd
really need. So I guess I took the easy way out. Hopefully it won't
caome back and bite me, but then the install was so easy that I'm not
too worried.

Oh, and I used 256 meg of swap. I only have and old P120 with 32meg, and
the extra swap has made this into a new machine... It just wasn't
working with 64meg swap. If I had NS and gimp open in KDE the system was
under stress :-)

I made the mistake of making a single 256 meg swap partition rather than
two 128 meg partitions as planned - but then found that apparently the
new kernal handles larger swap files. Handy that :-)

Anyway, that's what I did :-)

tim

  Tim & Therese Fairchild
  Atchafalaya Border Collies.