On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Steve wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Steve wrote:
> >
> > > I have cable access w/ a static IP address and would like to set up a low
> > > traffic web site on my linux box. I already registered a domain name but need
> > > DNS to point it to my box. Is there a way to do this w/o going through the
> > > cable company or do I need to hire an outside service?
> >
> > You can set up a DNS on your box (check the bind package), and/or use a
> > free service such as granitecanyon (http://soa.granitecanyon.com/).
>
> I am real new to this so forgive my ignorance but if I were to set up DNS
> on my server don't I need to point it to my ISP's Servers and don't they
> need to give me permission to this?
>
> A little confused.....

With a static IP address, you can be your 'ISP', at least in the
traditional sense. You need to setup bind on your machine to serve your
domain and update the nameserver records with network solutions (or
whoever you registered with). Check the DNS-HOWTO.

Warning: From what I have heard, many companies offering cable modem
access specifically state you are not allowed to run server-type services,
meaning DNS and web sites among others. You might want to check with the
cable company before setting this up. I have heard some people who have
setup server services and waited for the cable company to notice; some
did, some didn't. YMMV

Bill Carlson