On 24-Dec-99 D. Pierce-Price wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed RedHat 6.1 on my father's Dell box, going for a
> standard Gnome Workstation installation. However, I can't get the sound
> card or printer to work. I believe the soundcard is integrated,
> unfortunately. The manual which came with the computer just says "Dell
> Integrated Audio User's Guide, Technology from Creative Technology's Sound
> Blaster". Win 95 reports it as a Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug and Play.
> However, it doesn't seem to show up when I use sndconfig in Linux. Can
> anyone help?
>
> He also has an Epson Stylus Color 600, connected to the parallel port.
> RedHat didn't seem to set this up  when I installed it, and the printtool
> doesn't detect anything on any of /dev/lp0 lp1 or lp2. As root, I've tried
> doing lptest > /dev/lp0 but I get a "No such device" error. There are
> 'files' called lp0, lp1, and lp2 in /dev, though. Again, can anyone
> advise?
>
> Many thanks to you all,
>
> Douglas
1.Download lpr-0.46-1.rpm or the latest bug fix from redhat
2. Add this to /etc/conf.modules
   alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
3. Use Epson Stylus Color (UP) in Printtool

For more info go to
http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi?make=Epson&format=full

Hope this helps.
BTW Epson 600 Color Stylus  works perfectly with Linux !
Larry.