Hi folks,

I seem to have a little problem with my IP Masquerading setup. I
recently changed my setup to use a dedicated masquerading/dial-up PC on
which I'm running RHL 5.2 with kernel 2.0.38 and all relevant updates.
As this machine is a very small machine (386/33 with 16MB), I decided to
build a monolithic kernel, i.e. no modules.

Masquerading works from the other machine on the network for HTTP, mail
and ICQ - but not for FTP. I ran ftp with debugging enable to get more
information and it seems that it's using the local address (i.e.
192.168.1.1) when issuing port commands (e.g. "dir") - which obviously
won't work. If I run the same ftp command (wget actually) on the
masquerading machine itself, it works and uses the dynamic IP address I
get assigned by my ISP for port commands.
Hence, I assume I have a problem with masquerading. Now, the IP
Masquerading HOWTO states that I need the ip_masq_ftp.o kernel module
for FTP. Question is: How does that get implemented into a monolithic
kernel? I compiled the kernel using "make xconfig" and I was convinced
that I enabled everything which looked IP masquerading related - but I
didn't find any option referring to FTP specifically. Is there something
I have missed? I'd rather not revert to using modules, as the monolithic
kernel boots a hell of a lot faster than a modularised one on that
386...

Any help or pointers appreciated!

Cheers and happy new year,

Thomas
--
             "Look, Ma, no obsolete quotes and plain text only!"

     Thomas Ribbrock | http://www.bigfoot.com/~kaytan | ICQ#: 15839919