Dear T,

I don't know whether this will help, but I've never bothered with any of the
built in linux ppp connection ulities since I tried them but could never get
them to work.  I've used a small commandline program called eznet to
connect.  After compiling it (it comes as c code) and setting permissions
(which is easy) its as simple as entering my username, phone number, a name
to call the connection and password and pressing enter.  You can set mru and
lots of other options have multiple connections etc if you need to.  Its
command line driven but adding a menu for it in your favourite window
manager is simple.  It has clear instructions on its web page and can
produce a troubleshootng log.  Typing ping <ip address of provider> in term
will tell you whether you are connected as well.  NB. On my redhat 5.2 box
eznet worked but I discovered I had no /etc/resolv.conf file RH hadn't
installed it.  Once I copied this over from my suse system it was fine.