Ok,
 I appreciate all that willpower out there, I realize now that I probably
deserved the RTFM! reply to my previous post and I didnt get one ;) ..must
be the new year. I did some reading and poking and was able to put my
hostname and domainname back (hostname and domainname commands,, go figure
*heh*) to the localhost localhost.localdomain default. Gnome comes back up
with out the errors and I have access to xterm, but there still is
something amiss. When in xterm I should be able to start (it worked before
I goofed) network config. by typing netcfg at the prompt. It doesnt happen.
I get errors that have something todo with python. I'll include them here,
but I am gonna hate typing all this in

 errors follow:
File "/usr/lib/rhs/netcfg/netcfg.py", line 1943 in ? win =
WindowFrame(Toplevel())
                                          , line 1911 in __init__
      self.G = GV()
                                          , line 169 in __init__
      self.EHosts = ConfEHosts()
File "/usr/lib/rhs/python/Conf.py", line 422, in __init__ Conf.__init__
    (self, '/etc hots')
                                  , line 176, in __init__
     self.read()
                                  ,line 425, in read
     self.initvars
                                  ,438, in initvars
     raise BadFile, 'Malformed /etc/hosts file'
Conf.BadFile: Malformed /etc/hosts/ file                  {well, these last
two lines certainly
                                                                        look
unfriendly}

 I feel better now that I have gnome and xterm back.. could someone point
me in the right direction here ?
 Thank ya,
  -T. Sprowl