Why? I don't really see why you should use vmware, oh well :)

> (FYI -in case anyone hasn't heard, Inprise/Borland's InterBase 6 is
> about to be open-sourced, which would make it the most full-featured
> free database available under Linux.)

Yes, I heard something about it. Most important part is that Delphi for
Linux
is comming out in 2K. :)

> Basically my motivation is to get a jump on learning and using the
> InterBase SQL database before the open source release, -(Interbase 4,
> is already free, but only certified to run on RedHat 4.2)

Is also works on Redhat 6.0, 6.1 and Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 and 2.3.
I tried it. Only a couple of utils seem to core dump the lot. But there
is where the Interbase administration kit comes in. It comes with every
Inprise/Borland CD-ROM containing Interbase 4 or higher.

> Alternately, is there any way to get the older InterBase to run on
> RedHat 6.1, which I'm using at home.. (At work we're a Debian shop,
> so I'd be running VMware under that distro, and RedHat in that..)

Just install and it shoudl work :)

> If any helpful person could email me at work with any archive
> pointers, I'd really appreciate it. My work email is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Thanks muchly!

Don't thank me....... Thank the Linux community :)

> Chris

Yours,

Niels Wagenaar