what follows is from/var/log/messages
******
Jan 10 04:02:06 localhost kernel: File system panic (dev 03:01).
Jan 10 04:02:06 localhost kernel:   FAT error
Jan 10 04:02:06 localhost kernel:   File system has been set read-only
Jan 10 04:02:06 localhost kernel: Directory 6580: bad FAT
Jan 10 04:02:54 localhost kernel: File system panic (dev 03:01).
repeated many times
********
This occurs daily at 0400. At about the same time root gets mail from
xcron? that indicates slocate can't find different files. I suspect it
has something to do with 2 dos file systems on the machine, (FAT is a
dos thing isn't it?) If I leave this situation alone I eventually fill
my root filesytem. I've found that by unmounting my 2 dos partitions the
space in root is cleaned up.

questions:
1-how do I clean up the file system problem on the dos file systems if
that is the problem?
2-I am used to doing "crontab -e" to edit roots cron. When I do this in
Linux the only cront entries that show up are the ones I created and not
the ones that started slocate. How does one enter those cronjobs?

Thanks,
Harry