> I had similar experience. My card is AD1816. sndconfig would not help me
> so I recompiled and kernel. It is still not working.

OK boys, I think I'd better chime in.

Apart from the fact that that particular card should never have been
invented, it really is a mess even with Winblows on your system.

I don't know whether you've noticed, but that card has two modes of
operation : Windows Sound System and Sound Blaster Pro Compatable. The
problem is, even when you install the card in Winblows 9x, it actually loads
a DOS program first that goes through and depending on what you told it when
you installed, throws the card into either Windows Sound System OR Sound
Blaster Pro mode. Not both, and I've found that the DOS program HAS to be
run for Windows to even talk to the card.

Solution 1: Reverse engineer the DOS program and re-write it for Linux so it
sets the mode before initializing the card. Really easy - NOT!

Solution 2: Ditch it. Plenty of new and second hand 'REAL' sound cards on
the market.

Edward Dekkers (Director)
Triple D Computer Services Pty. Ltd.
T: (08) 9397-1040