On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Jeremy Bradley wrote:

> after being on the lists I see that users are constantly adding patches and
> recompiling kernels and such.  Is this type the type of stuff that has to be
> done, or is this mostly just the little hacker and developer type things?  I

What each person does for upkeep on their computer is pretty much up to
them. I have boxes that are still running Redhat 5.1, they are doing their
job and are not in danger of being comprimised, so I don't mess with them.
Other machines I update religiously.

The key to Linux is that it is up to you what you do. You can install a
default config of Redhat and do nothing else. Or maybe just install
security updates. Or maybe just add a driver for that new nifty dodad to
the kernel. Or maybe get the Web based calendar working for your wife. Or
maybe just setup your own ISP.

Linux is a tool, what you do with it is up to you.

Now, the people on this list are generally here for 2 reasons, to either
ask for help or provide help. In many cases for both reasons. The thing
you have to realize is that there are actual answers to the questions!

Don't be afraid and don't expect to learn everything overnight, gradually
it will come and you'll be amazed at the things you can do.

I still remember the terror of my first login: prompt 7 years ago; I still
learn something new every day.

Bill Carlson