Hi everyone

I bought a Seagate TapeStor STT20000N-C. It's a internal SCSI drive that
does hardware compression. It uses 10/20gb tapes (TR-5 aka QIC 32200), and
is the only device off a adapatec 2930 card.

I downloaded and installed arkeia version 4.2.2-2.

I checked the arkeia archives and followed a thread about a person not
getting this to work, but nothing helpful (to me) to solve it.

The drive is detected by the kernel on bootup as st0, the aic7xxx and st
modules get loaded when I use the tape, and mt/tar works fine with it.

I have gone through the quickstart and done test backups to a NULL tape
from both the server and a client.

My problems:

1. I chose STD QIC for the device. I was very surprised to not see all the
different QIC types listed. Is this ok? If not, how do I add a new type?
2. I chose QIC 25GB for the tape. there was no 10/20GB choice, and
couldn't find a way to add a new tape type. How do I do this?
3. When i start a *real* interactive backup it says "drvie 'TRAVAN Drive'
is locked" repeatedly evety minute. When thi si occuring I can happily
access the tape with mt.

I should be more specific and say that when I first tried, I got a message
saying something to the effect of insert a tape (on ewas already in). So I
tried an mt rewind command and got a /dev/st0: Input/output error.

I rmmod the modules, and then mt/tar commands went back to normal, so I
tried arkeia again. It was at this point that I got the locked error. Ever
since then, that's the only error I get.

thanks
charles

# boot info

Jan 12 09:56:23 penguin kernel: Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel
0, id 4, lun 0
Jan 12 09:56:23 penguin kernel: (scsi0:0:4:0) Using asynchronous
transfers.

# mt status
[root@penguin /root]# mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x47 (unknown to this mt).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

# /proc info

[root@penguin arkeia]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Seagate  Model: STT20000N        Rev: 7.11
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

[root@penguin arkeia]# cat /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.20/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  TCQ Enabled By Default : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7860 Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra Narrow Controller
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xeb000000
 Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
                         Allocated 15, HW 3, Page 255
             Interrupts: 53
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18b6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x0057
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0x00ff
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:

(scsi0:0:4:0)
  Device using Narrow/Async transfers.
  Transinfo settings: current(25/0/0/0), goal(0/0/0/0), user(0/0/0/0)
  Total transfers 0 (0 reads and 0 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
  Writes:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0