Oh yes, I thought I said that. I did a simple (but I think effective) test
of tarring up three different things on the tape ( using the
non-rewind device and doing a fsf inbetween) and then untarring all three
successfully.

Admittedly I seem to get the followign error

/dev/st0: Input/output error

sometimes - seems like after not using the tape for a while, but it goes
away after certain commands (like mt -d /dev/st0 status). I'm really not
sure if this is an issue or not, but have had arkeia fail when the tape
was responding just fine - several time.

So I'm hoping someone with soem arkeia experience will lend a hand. I have
posted to the arkeia list, but have only gotten one reply.

thanks
charles