-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 6:43 PM
Subject: Lilo Stop at LI - old bios, big disk

>I have an old Dell 486/66. I put in a new 13G drive. It boots fine
>from a floppy but caLILO hangs at LI. I have tried all advice I could
>find except for upgrading the BIOS and/or motherboard.

I've had similar problems lately trying to do much the same thing.

>Changes to /etc/lilo.conf like linear or specifying the geometry have
produced no
>change, so far.

I never changed lilo.conf, just the BIOS, which fixed it readily both times.

>The disk geometry is something like 12,613 cyclinders 32 heads 63
>sectors. I can't even type five digits into the BIOS for the number of
>cylinders (the latest BIOS copyright date is only 5 years ago - what
>were they thinking?). Is there a way to just get all the info into the
>lilo.conf and find the right settings.

If the BIOS doesn't have the correct disk geometry, I don't think you'll
ever get past where you are now.  You need to make sure that what the BIOS
thinks and what the disk is actually formatted as (geometry-wise) are the
same.

>I tried 1024,16,63 because that
>worked for somebody somewhere.

Do you realize that this will mean your disk will only use 504 MB of its
capacity?  If you must use 1024 cylinders, go with 197 (floor
(16*12613/1024)) heads -- if your BIOS will let you do *that*. :}  When you
first installed onto the blank drive, what did Disk Druid say it thought the
geometry was?  In any case, telling the BIOS that without changing the
geometry (via fdisk) to the same thing will not improve your situation.

Ryan Caveney