I know this is old, and I don't know if this is yet resolved.  Don't have
time right now to read up to the present.....   so:
It looks like the new drive's boot partition might not be marked as the
bootable one  by fdisk.  The bios won't try to boot from any partition at
all if one isn't  marked bootable.  if more than one is marked, it just uses
the first one it finds.

brian  :)
************************

At 11:58 PM 1/12/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Philippe Moutarlier wrote:
>>
>> I am confused about what you did :
>>
>> To install lilo you need a running system. If you replace you hard drive
"on the spot",
>> that means you probably had to install your new hard drive somewhere else
than hda. Right ?

>> At the very least, at the time you run lilo, your /boot points to the
location
>> of your old boot directory.
>>
>> Keep in mind that at the time you are running lilo, it understands the
CURRENT
>> directory structure NOT the new one yet.
>>
>> Say you installed your new hard drive on /dev/hd_x
>> mounted on /new_hd
>> You copy your old /boot under /new_hd/boot
>>
>> Then you need to put this in your lilo.conf (SAVE the old one as you will
>> need it after reboot)  :
>>
>> #where lilo will put the MBR with respect to the current system
>> boot=/dev/hd_x
>>
>> #where are the files needed by lilo to build its tables.
>> map=/new_hd/boot/map
>>
>> install=/new_hd/boot/boot.b
>>
>> image=/new_hd/boot/bzImage-2.2.13-1
>>
>> Be careful : after reboot, you will need to copy your old lilo.conf back
in place
>> before you run lilo again. In fact you should do it right away and run lilo
>> again to make sure.
>>
>> Philippe
>
>Did it.. :(
>
>for some reason it acts as if I have not even wrote to the mbr. This is
>the first time I have run into this.. I have a feeling this is hardware
>problem or I am over looking something..
>
>Jeff
>

>--
>as the Subject.

---