On 16/01/00 at 9:16 Jason Costomiris wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 16, 2000 at 04:18:10PM +1100, Greg W wrote:
>: PostgreSQL is more functional, or rather has more functions, its also
open
>: source,   MySQL is maybe smaller and faster, but has a different lic
>: agreement, also not as complete as PostgreSQL
>:
>: I am not really sure why people persist with MySQL
>
>You said it yourself.  Smaller and faster.  For 99% of the apps out there,
>record versioning, foreign keys (I think that's in pgsql now, isn't it?),
>and large object support aren't required.  You take the tradeoff to gain
>speed.

Yes in fact I did didn't I !     Probably should have been more precise and
said.....  I am not sure why it is still so popular with such a lic. , the
last time I read it its getting into a commercial style lic (bear with me,
its from memory....) and is quite restrictive.......

As far as speed goes, I can see why it may be used.

>Transaction support is nice though.
>
>I just wish the PHP functions for pgsql were as easy to work with as
>the mysql ones.

I am not that familiar with the code workings, I have PHP running on both
databases on the same box, if more people used PostgreSQL then maybe things
would improve the PHP functions......

I am sure the original poster now has more info than reqd.  :-)

Regards

Greg Wright
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***