Hey pplz.

        I thought i was getting good a kernel hacking, then this
happened.
I've recently 'tried' to upgrade the kernel on a proliant 7000 server
which uses the Compaq SMART 2 driver.  Thing is, if i try and boot the
new kernel it tries to load the modules from the old kernel which was
version 2.2.5-15 and i get a similar message to:

                /lib/ncr53c8xx.o compiled for kernel 2.2.5-15
                        while this is kernel 2.2.14

and then it won't mount the root file system.

I've looked in /lib for the file ncr53c8xx.o and it doesn't exist.  It's
actually in /lib/modules/drivers/scsi which i guess is correct cause if
I boot up on the old kernel (2.2.5-15) it loads up fine.

I'm just trying to understand a few things.

Why does it look in /lib for the modules when that's not where they are?
And how can i tell the system to look for the new modules when booting
up off the new kernel?

Or even better?  What would happen if i tried to build the ncr driver
into
the kernel and not run it as a module?

TIA,

Jamie Carl