From: Hossein S. Zadeh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 18 January 2000 11:36 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: Incorrect modules loading after kernel upgrade..

uOn Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jamie Carl wrote:

> I've recently 'tried' to upgrade the kernel on a proliant 7000 server
> which uses the Compaq SMART 2 driver.  Thing is, if i try and boot the
> new kernel it tries to load the modules from the old kernel which was
> version 2.2.5-15 and i get a similar message to:
>
>               /lib/ncr53c8xx.o compiled for kernel 2.2.5-15
>                       while this is kernel 2.2.14

I bet in /etc/lilo.conf you load up the new kernel with an "initrd=...."
line. AND the initial image is the one that was created for the old
kernel.

You, as a kernel hacker, probably already know this, but here
goes nothing anyway:

"initrd=..." in lilo makes the kernel to load the corresponding file as
the root file system during bootup. After kernel is booted, the root
file
system is replaced by the real one (on the hard disk). As such, initrd
file has all the necessary modules (the ones named in /etc/conf.modules)
inside itself so the kernel can load them during bootup. So if an initrd
file is created for an old kernel, and is used by a new one (via the
wrong
call in lilo.conf), the kernel "sees" the wrong modules; hence the error
you saw.

The solution is as simple as creating a new one; refer to mkinitrd man
page.

If you compile all the necessary modules (that are required during
bootup), then you can comment out the initrd line in /etc/lilo.conf
altogether.

cheers,
Hossein