Steve wrote:

> Sorry for the OT post but I need some feedback on VMware
> I am thinking about format c:\ on my windows box and turning it into a
> linux server. The problem is that I still have some mission critical apps
> that are winblows only and I have a few games I like to play on
> winblows. Is running Winblows on VMware just like having a winblows
> box? I mean can I run all the same periferals? Software run the same?
> Or do I give up any of the functionality I have running a stand
> alone M$ box?.

I use VMWare under Linux to do all my Windows NT service development (a
services under NT is like daemon under Unix for you non-NT guys).
Pretty much, running Windows 98 or Windows NT under VMWare is just like
running it on a standalone PC, as far as applications, etc, go.

When it comes to games though, Direct-X is not supported in the current
version of VMWare - although it is promised in a future version. So
although some Windows games may run okay, others may not.

And peripherals are the other difference from running a standalone PC.
VMWare gives the OS running under it a "generic" PC to run on - 16-bit
SVGA video, virtual IDE hard drives, CD-ROM, SoundBlaster audio,
Ethernet, mouse, up to 4 COM ports and 3 printer (LPT) ports.  No
support for talking directly to a SCSI peripheral, or USB is provided at
this time.  Also, I don't think the joystick port is emulated by VMWare,
although I could be mistaken.

Basically, VMWare is great for running apps, software development tools
(I run Borland C++ Builder in a VMWare Windows NT 4 box), etc.  It may
not run your games though.

Hope this helps!

Jim Morris ([EMAIL PROTECTED])