Sorry I missed some part of this thread and I might be wrong, but from what I
understand you  are looking for the conf.modules file ... which doesn't exist by
default !

So don't worry if you don't have it (you won't find it on the CD either) : create it
under /etc/conf.modules

and add to it :

alias eth0 via-rhine.o

Voila .. It worked for me at least ...