On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Patrick M. May wrote:

> >From APC's web site.
>
> I bought an APC BECAUSE they had powerchute available.  It runs in the
> background, but you MUST be root to use Xpowerchute.  Shows you nice little
> bar graphs (just like it does under Windows) of the normal operating
> conditions and with red areas of where it kicks in (under/over voltage). It
> will write when it goes on battery to /var/log/messages.

Does powerchute handle a network setup yet? As in the UPS is connected to
several machines but only to one machine via serial port, can powerchute
notify the other machines to shutdown when the UPS hits low battery?

I've been using NUT (Network UPS Tools) to do this and am very happy with
the results. </plug> That and NUT supports more than just APC and is GPL.

Bill Carlson