>From APC's web site.

I bought an APC BECAUSE they had powerchute available.  It runs in the
background, but you MUST be root to use Xpowerchute.  Shows you nice little
bar graphs (just like it does under Windows) of the normal operating
conditions and with red areas of where it kicks in (under/over voltage). It
will write when it goes on battery to /var/log/messages.

The setup is just a shell script that asks you what you have connected
(everything from a Back-UPS to a Symetra, and some kind of "instrument pack"
thing I guess they have. Use the gray cable (what is up with the two cables?
The black one didn't work...anyone know about that thing...extension?) like
the docs say. It says to reboot but I guess you could do the init restart
thing (I just went ahead and rebooted).

Patrick

As a side note: If you need to justify the purchase to a significant other
you can use this story from a guy at Best Buy: His girlfriend got ticked at
him for buying a APC 600 Pro (or 640) until the power went out and she
needed to use her hair dryer. He unplugged the computer and told her to dry
her hair with that.  Hasn't heard anything about it since.