-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2000 12:13 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Redhat on Dell or IBM Laptops?

Helvetiella Longoria wrote:

> Hi,  I am about to make a recommendation on a laptop that has a docking
> station to our
>  telecommunications/networking group at the university. They want to be
able
> to run RedHat Linux on it
>  as the primary Operating System with WindowsNT as the second OS.  We have
> narrowed it down to two
>  vendors, either Dell or IBM.  Does anyone have a recommendation of which
of
> the two is better for
>  running LINUX and network management tools? Besides the manufacturer,
could
> you also advise on a
>  model?

        I can feel all sorts of bias responces welling up in me, but anyway.
I've installed slackware and Redhat (various versions) on quite a few
Latitudes and never had any unsurmountable problems. The first time I tried
it the install was smoothe and nothing really had to be fiddled with. Added
to that there are several Redhat on Dell laptops mailing lists so the
support is certainly out there if you do run into difficulty. If your only
looking at a small purchase then the Inspiron line of noteboks is what you
want to be looking at. What type of net mng software do you want to run
(lemmie guess, everything ??).

        I actually have a Thinkpad at home, great things :), but I have to
admit I never tried running Linux on it and it is quite an old model.

btw we ship RH Linux 6.1 preinstalled on a Dell Inspiron 7500 Notebook,
serious piece of hardware, bit pricey though.

because,
Steve

(all my own opinions as an engineer, nothing to do with company stance yada,
yada)