Manuel Camacho wrote:
> We need a mail server at the office, and was thinking about Linux as an option.
> About 20 users, and we use internal as well as internet e-mail. As traffic is
> very low, we would think about a dial-on-demand connection to the
> internet through a modem. We connect to the ISP and send/receive our e-mail from
> their server.
>
> The network at the office uses Novell netware, and the clients are either Win95
> or Win98.
>
> Can we make a connection from Linux to Novell? Where can we find info on how?
> (I've been unsuccessfully looking for some kind of Linux+Novell HOWTO, but I
> don't seem to find it.).

You don't need a connection from Linux to Novell just to handle mail. Your
Win9x client machines can use POP3 of IMAP to retrieve mail from the Linux
box.

To retrieve mail from your ISP you can run a cron job that launches
fetchmail to retrieve mail and procmail to put it in the correct local
mailboxes. The cron job could then run 'sendmail -q' to force sendmail to
send outgoing mail. You will probably want to configure sendmail to use your
ISP's SMTP server as a smarthost.

There are tutorials on configuring mail for small offices and home LANs at
many sites. Try Moongroup <http://www.moongroup.com> or Linux Gazette
<http://www.linuxgazette.com/>.

--
 Anthony E. Greene <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>