Patrick M. May wrote:
[...]
> /usr/X11R6/bin is but not /usr/bin/X11 (a link back to /usr/X11R6/bin
> anyway). I checked and I can't find a "xauth" file anywhere on the system.
> Anyone know what provides this file...maybe something isn't installed right?

The file should be .xauth, and IIRC, it's a directory?

The file is supposed to be used when you're using X over a network.  As vnc
doesn't use X that way, it shouldn't matter.  I can run vncserver on my
machine, whether X is running or not and run vncviewer on another machine
(either running X or Windows in the case of WinVNC) and all works fine.

-W-