On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, Nick wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know if it is possible to use Linux workstations with NT file
> servers?  I know that you can do this the other way round (ie have Linux
> file servers with Windows NT or 95/8 servers).  However, we are committed
> to NT file servers so need to keep them, since we are predominatly NT
> users.  However, to support our Linux/UNIX this would be very handy.  For
> example, could one have a system disk on the Linux workstation, containing
> Linux, software, temp space etc and have, say, the /home/user directory
> mounted on a NT server (equivalent of the Network drive on a PC).  Also,
> how would the Linux users information, preferences etc. be held - or would
> a separate, possibly low spec. Linux computer be required to serve this
> information?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Nick
>

> --
> as the Subject.

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe you should be able to
use Samba for that too.  In other words, you can use the smbclient command
to mount shares from WinNT servers into your Linux workstations.  I
believe there is also a QT based front-end that makes it even easier to
mount those shares (check freshmeat.net for "samba" and see what you get).

Regarding the idea of mounting /home/username from the WinNT server, I've
never seen it before but I suppose it should also work.  It certainly
works via NFS.

---------
Nitebirdz
---------
It's not too late to turn back from the "Gates" of Hell...
Linux: the free 32-bit operating system, available NOW.
Why waaaaaait for NT? (Brandon S. Allbery)