David, there *should* be no difference between the file formats if you use
ascii mode to ftp the files. If you still suspect this, use 'od' to
examine the files contents.

Unless you feel comfortable reading octal values for characters,
'od -c file'
works best for me. You should have a single '\n' at the end of each line.

hth
charles