"Use Windows if this is not acceptable."

Windows is the PRIME example of OS installs making assumptions
how you want your system set up.  Slack 3.x and RH 6.0 had
great installs, IMHO, always cautioning about disk partitions
and data locations.

What I dislike, and they're not NECESSARILY related, is the
automagic/least-common-denominator/guess nature of GUI tools
and GUI installers.  Then again, if MS had to design an
ueberGUI to the Registry, I can't imagine how large and weird
it would have to be....
--
Edward Schernau                 http://www.schernau.com
Network Architect               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]