"Toby A. Rider" ïèøåò:

>         Has anyone sucessfully installed Linux on a Compaq Proliant 1500
> with
> the old Compaq SmartArray EISA RAID controller? I've gotten it to
> install correctly on a single drive plugged into the SCSI controller,
> but the desired effect is to have the OS installed on the 3 drives in
> the RAID array and to boot off of the RAID array. That's whats not
> cooperating here.
>         The install detects it as an NCR RAID controller, but after it
> loads
> the drivers for that device, it says it cannot detect any drives. Just
> for testing purposes, I installed Solaris for x86 on there, and then
> installed SCO Unixware 7 on there, they both were able to find the
> drives in the RAID array.
>         Obviously my Unix of choice is Linux, and I would like to be
> able to
> have it running on that machine so I can use all my favourite
> applications on that machine. I was unable to find anything useful on
> the Compaq support site.
>         Does anyone know the trick to this one? Thanks!
>
> Toby A. Rider

Hi!

I haven't Compaq 1500 installation expierence, but my brand new Compaq
1600 worked just fine more than 40 days.

It has 2 NCR 53c875 SCSI controllers and Compaq Smart-2/P RAID
Controller (rev.3) on PCI bus. Smart-2 manage disk array of 3 U2SCSI
drives. They organized into RAID5 volume, that partitioned by fdisk into
3 partitions. RAID5 volume was created by shipped with server Compaq
SmartStart utility, after that it became visible to fdisk as one solid
disk. After that all installations procedures was as usual.
So, I think you have to prepare RAID volume by mentioned utility and get
desired effect.

Hope this helps you.

Sergey.
Tomsk, Russia, Western Siberia.