At 08:30 AM 2/15/00 , Philip D. Jenkins wrote:
>since Redhat's 6.1 rpms.  It seems to get worse the more I use the Gnome
>Terminal, I tend to have about 12 gnome terminals open at all the time
>for several days until it gets to slow, the a simple restart of X fixes
>the problem.  I have always suspected that is was a memory problem in
>gnome.  Correct me if I am wrong.

The kids at the local LUG mentioned that they noticed that X leaks
memory... something to do with the way it stores bitmaps.   So over time,
one or more of the X processes grows quite large.  They said they reported
it and the distro, Red Hat I believe, told them that it was a design flaw
in X that couldn't be fixed.  Maybe you can find the ticket in bugzilla.
This matches my experiences.

The other problem I have is a process which runs wild, usually after
Netscape blows up.  I usually have to kill it by hand AFTER exiting
gnome.  ld.linux.so, I think.

Obviously gnome is still a work in progress but no less stable than, say,
Windows 98.  I don't leave either up any longer than need be...  At least
when gnome wigs out I can quickly bring it under control...

-Alan
---
Alan D. Mead  /  Research Scientist  /  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Institute for Personality and Ability Testing
1801 Woodfield Dr  /  Savoy IL 61874 USA
217-352-4739 (v)  /  217-352-9674 (f)