In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/16/00
   at 01:58 PM, "Mathco Tech. Dep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> typed:

>We have a HP DeskJet 970 series printer at work
>on a Windows 98 computer (i know i know), anyway
>i like to be able to print to that printer
>from a Linux machine, and to a point i do succeed.
>I installed the ghostscript software found on
>contrib.redhat.com but when i try to print a postscript
>testpage then nothing will come out, its like nothing
>is sent to the other computer. I can do a ascii page
>with no problems.

I had a similar problem with a Laserjet 4P on an OS2 machine - ascii would
print OK but PS would get scrambled and look like a lot of barcodes.  I
was using lpd on the os2 machine.  The fix was to move the printer to the
linux machine, and use a program called lprmon on the os2 machines to get
to the printer.  There's a similar program for W9x that works quite well:
ftp://ich2ftp.ich.kfa-juelich.de/pub/win31/wlprs42a.zip

Try it - it may work for you.

--
 Julian Thomas:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://home.epix.net/~jt
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!