----- Original Message -----
From: Nate Waddoups <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 3:51 AM
Subject: Re: renaming the 'nobody' account

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Brad 'GreyBear' Davis wrote:
>
> > Why not use procmail or even a redirect in /etc/alias to /dev/null? If
all
> > you care about is not filling the account's email bin up, this is easier
> > do, and doesn't force you to futz with the account.
>
> I have moral objections to allowing spammers to commandeer my clock cycles
> (and it's just a Pentium-90, so I haven't many to spare).  I'd rather
> bounce the messages than receive them.  Plus there's a small (very small)
> chance that bouncing messages to that address will limit the spammers' use
> of the address.
>
> No, these are not highly rationally defensible reasons. :-)  I am apalled
> by spam for a number of reasons and simply ignoring the situation (e.g.
> redirect to /dev/null) is the least attractive solution I can imagine.

Hehe. And now we traverse from a purely administration function to the
desire to "make 'em pay"...

Bouncing a message is going to eat at least as many, and almost certainly
more, CPU cycles than quietly flushing it out the port, but it does have the
satisfaction of knowing that you are spamming them as much as they are
spamming you.

And of course you can always send back a canned message alerting them of the
fact that their spam is unsolicited and therefore technically illegal in
many parts of the globe.

> Something from a .signature file I use from time to time:  If you'll
> assume for a moment that there are just 4 million businesses on the
> Internet today... If ONE percent of them sent you ONE piece of junk email
> per year, you'd still have to wade through over 100 messages per day.
>
> Nate "defender of the free world" Waddoups

And it seems as if a lot more are doing it than that.

Brad 'GreyBear' Davis - CTO, PeoplePublish, Inc.