Hidong Kim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One of my three Red Hat 6.1 machines is running X noticeably more
> sluggish than the other two.  On this machine, there's a delay in
> switching from one window to another, and there's a pause before I can
> "grab" a scroll bar.  When I do a 'top' on this machine, I see the
> process ld-linux.so.2.  This process is consuming anywhere from 10% to
> 98% cpu, and around 45% memory.  What is this process?  I don't see it
> on my other two machines.  Can I kill it?  I don't want to kill it if
> it'll wreck something else.  Thanks,
>
> Hidong

        I've noticed that whenever Netscape gets hung up on some Java that it
doesn't like ld-linux.so.2 tags out at 100% also. I kill the process,
remove the lock file and then restart Netscape and everything is back to
normal. It seems to happen most often on GNOME with Enlightenment as the
window manager. I wonder what the deal is with that process..

Toby A. Rider