Or if you want to manually edit the /etc/passwd file, you should use vipw,
not vi (or pico).
(or vigr for the groups file)

 From the vipw man page;

NAME
      vipw, vigr - edit the password or group files

SYNOPSIS
      vipw [-V] [--version]
      vigr [-V] [--version]

DESCRIPTION
      Vipw edits the password file after setting the appropriate locks, and
      does any necessary processing after the password file is unlocked.  If
      the password file is already locked for editing by another user, vipw
      will ask you to try again later. The default editor for vipw is vi(1).
      Vigr edits the group file in the same manner as vipw.

Rgds,
Darryl