Hello:

I am trying to write a script to allow the killing of a ppp process for a dialup user. I am running a cylades cyclom -ye pci board with 32 ports for dialup access to the net and when a user logs in pppd will assign a random /dev/pppn device to it. It could be ppp0 through ppp31. But it is always random. In the past with Red Hat 4.2 I was able to just kill the /var/lock/ttyC# file and it killed the entire ppp process to allow a new ppp process. But with RH 6.0 on kernel 2.2.14 with pppd 2.3.8 running I find that killing of the /var/lock PID file, (LCK..ttyC#) will only disconnect the modem but the ppp process is still running. So the next user that would dial into that certain modem could not establish a network connection as I assume the ppp process still sees a pppn connected to that ttyCn and the modem actually answers and shows a user logged on but they do not have a network connection. The only place I could find to associate what ppp device was attached to what ttyC port was to search /var/log/messages. Is that my only way of association? Should I run the script by cat /var/log/messages ttyC# to find the pppn device that it is using or was assigned? And if so how would the syntax go as far as "cat" for the PID number I need which is in /var/run? I know if I kill -9 that certain pppn process in /var/run/pppn.pid I can get a clean disconnect of modem and network to allow a clean connection for the next user. I have experimented and searched in depth but can not seem to get it to work properly. Any advise would be very helpful as I need that remote "easy" way of killing a pppn PID without going through the labor of looking it up in /var/log/messages each time.

Thanks in Advance,

Eddie Strohmier
Bonwell Globalnet