On Tue, Mar 14, 2000 at 03:13:23AM -0500, Eddie Strohmier wrote:
| Thank you! After looking over the old script I see I was using kill -9. Not
| a standard kill. I simply took out the -9 and yes it will allow the next
| user to connect with a network connection on that killed modem connection.
| Apparently I am killing off much more than needed with the kill -9 approach.

A 9 signal prevents the receiving process from doing any kind of
cleanup, since it may not be intercepted. As such, it should almost
NEVER be the first signal you send a process you want to terminate.
Instead, sent SIGTERM (15), which as it happens is the default signal
the kill command sends. This lets the receiving process catch it, tidy
up and _then_ exit.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

A good newspaper is never good enough, but a lousy newspaper is a joy
forever.        - Garrison Keillor