Paul Foster wrote:

> Here's what I want to know: why hasn't someone put out an open source
> program that reads .DOC files (any version) and converts them to
> something like RTF? That way, we wouldn't need to open some huge
> program just to see what they sent us.

Here's a summary of some such apps out there:

(1)
Name: wvWare (formerly MSWordView)
Functionality: Library & sample application converts Word 8 files to HTML
Limitations: Exports only to HTML, although library should be able to do
             text, TeX, and other ordinary formats
NEW URL: http://www.wvWare.com/
OLD URL: http://www.gnu.org/~caolan/docs/MSWordView.html
(old) Redhat RPMs: ftp://ftp.freshmeat.net/pub/rpms/mswordview/
[try rpmfind for newer versions]

(2)
Name: word2x
Functionality: Converts Word files to text, HTML or LaTeX
Limitations: No OLE, may not do Word 7 and Word 8 formats (just 2-6)

(3)
Name: catdoc
Functionality: Reads MS Word 6 and 7 files to text, with TeX-like tables
Limitations: Doesn't do Word 8 format?

(4)
Name: LAOLA
Functionality: Perl programs dealing with binary file formats of Windows
                program documents.
Limitations: lhalw does word 6, Word 7. Word 8 "sorta" works.

N.B. --> ALL of the binary packages are available in RPM format from the
         Redhat contrib tree and where specifically listed above. Trying
         them out should be a 15-second affair...

-Craig