Could I make an unsolicited product endorsement here? If your in the market for
a NIC, and only need an RJ-45 jack,  I highly recommend the Netgear FA310tx.
It's an auto-sensing 10/100 ethernet adapter. I've used several of them
recently on my personal linux machines, and they work flawlessly. The come with
drivers for just about every O/S, including Linux (the web page for them at
Netgear's site even states that they support Linux). The driver is just the
tulip module, but it (I think) has been optimized for the FA310tx by Netgear.
Best of all, they cost only $25/each at Staples. I've seen them for < $20
online.

I had tried to use (older) 3Com cards, but they wouldn't work at all, no matter
what I tried. For these cards, all I did was install them, power-up, and kudzu
detected and configured them instantly.

 --
Prentice
[EMAIL PROTECTED]