Steve,

I had the same problem when I upgraded (but it was some time ago and I'm
doing this from memory). I am assuming you used Linuxconf to add these
address ranges. It never worked for me. I just decided to add the
appropriate info by hand, so that's what I'm giving you. Hopefully not
forgetting anything.;>

First go to

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

then create a file called

ifcfg-eth0-range0

replace eth0 with whatever the interface is you're doing the aliasing on.
Inside this file put the following lines.

IPADDR_START=10.10.10.20
IPADDR_END=10.10.10.40
CLONENUM_START=0
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

The first line is the beginning of the block.
The second line is the end of the block.
The third is the number to start for the aliasing (i.e. eth0:0)
The forth is the netmask.

More can be read about these files and more by doing

less ifup-aliases

It has all the info you need in it to create your own.

As for your kernal problems...You are on your own.

I don't usually have need to hack my kernel. I thought that was the whole
point of a modular kernel. But good luck with it.

Have fun,

Brian