In my case, the NFS servers were linux machines. I have two linux machines,
and tried NFS upgrades in both directions. I had the
RedHat dist in /vol/RedHat, /vol being it's own filesystem. /vol is nfs
exported. I confirmed that I could mount /vol from the machine doing the
installed, and told the installer program that the redhat dist was in /vol and
/vol/RedHat. Neitherg worked. It did the mount, and the log file on the server
machine showed that the mount was successful.

Also, doing the upgrade when the redhat dist was on the machine's harddisk,
and in a partition listed in /etc/fstab (such as /vol), then the install
program would try to mount that filesystem twice, and then die. That bug has
come and gone in various previous redhat versions.

Only when I had redhat in a partition not mounted by /etc/fstab did the
upgrade work.

--
 Brady Montz